Another Summer Day in Delhi

My wife needed the car today, so I was at the mercy of public transport. It was 9am and already approaching 40 degrees (Celsius = 104 degrees Fahrenheit) as I walked out to the front gate of our block to find an auto rickshaw. Needless to say, I was already in a full sweat as I slipped into the back of the auto. Fortunately, there was no need to negotiate this morning as the auto wala gave me a fair price from the start, always a nice surprise. I'll give him more than he asked for, which is my policy these days, during the scorching heat. I pity anyone who works most of their day outside in this weather. I live among those who go from one air-conditioned building to another, but I realize that we are the minority. 


Among my various tasks today, in fact, is a visit to a bank where I will transfer some money into an account from which my friend in a neighboring state will access to make a purchase. It's about as hot where he lives and he has no AC and no refrigerator. On a recent visit to Delhi he mentioned, in passing, how nice it would be to have a fridge. Do you have any idea how long fruits or vegetables or milk lasts on the counter in 45 degrees Celsius (113 Fahrenheit)? Not long. My friend wasn't complaining. This isn't his first summer in North India. Hopefully, within a day or so, he will have a fridge to chill water and preserve his food. 


If you're reading this blog entry, it's likely that you are among those who already enjoy refrigeration in its various forms. Maybe take some time today to think about those who don't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, do I know anyone without refrigeration? You are uniquely situated there in India. Keep at it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.