Acsah

Acsah approaches

full of faith

upon her donkey she rides

believing in love

and in her father's generosity


Caleb sits

full of courage

upon his victories he rests

overflowing with love

and in words of greeting

he speaks to her

"My daughter

what can I do for you?"


Acsah shows no fear

she sees her desert

and asks for water


Caleb shows pure joy

he sees her faith

and promises her both

the upper and lower springs



Joshua 15:16-19 (NIV); also narrated in Judges 1:12-15.

And Caleb said, "I will give my daughter Acsah in marriage to the man who attacks and captures Kiriath Sepher." Othniel son of Kenaz, Caleb's brother, took it; so Caleb gave his daughter Acsah to him in marriage. One day when came to Othniel, she urged him to ask her father for a field. When she got off her donkey, Caleb asked her, "What can I do for you?" She replied, "Do me a special favor. Since you have given me land in the Negev, give me also springs of water." So Caleb gave her the upper and lower springs.



No comments: